Friday, January 19, 2007

Julie's Tortilla Soup

This is soooo easy and great for crowds. I have no idea where my friend Julie got it from, so I will attribute it to her. We both just eyeball it based on how many people are eating, so here's my attempt at turning it into a recipe. The proportion of cream soup to broth is pretty flexible, I just use whatever I have on hand.

Julie's Tortilla Soup

Dash of oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 small cans cream of chicken soup (or aprox 3 cups)
3 small cans of chicken broth (or aprox 5 cups)
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
1 jar of cheap salsa (like a medium sized jar of Pace Picante)
1/3 cup of rice (optional, especially if you are going to store it. If soup gets too thick, add more broth)

Toppings:
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Tortilla chips
Guacamole
Lime wedges (my favorite)
Cilantro (Yuck! Come to think of it, I think Julie actually adds this to the soup, but I hate cilantro)


Fry up the onion in some oil. When onions are getting soft, add chicken & let it brown a bit. (3 minutes tops) Dump everything else into the pot except for the rice and toppings. When soup begins to bubble, add the rice. Stir occaisionally to keep rice from burning to bottom of pot. Soup is ready once the rice is soft.


Serve with toppings.

No comments: